Vern's Verbal Vibe

Singer-songwriter/multi-instrumentalist and purveyor of folk 'n' roll: spirit-filled sad songs made better.

January 29, 2006

Resetting Bedtimes

The good news: I took a badly needed day off yesterday. It was a bright, warm afternoon—perfect for a walk by the lake in Long Branch, dinner, and a movie. The bad news: I had to stay up all night to do it, so I'm a wreck today.

My body thinks night is day and day is night. If left to its own devices, it goes to bed when the sun rises and wakes up at sunset. At the moment, my life is structured such that I can almost give it free rein ... except for an ongoing early afternoon appointment on Tuesdays. The thing is, I like my Tuesdays the way they are (up at 10 a.m., bed at 2 a.m.) and I wish the rest of the week would fall in line. But my body keeps rebelling. Wonder why?

I'm hoping I can reset my bedtime tonight and get it to stick. If not, what to do? I know: I'll move to Australia. Then, when my sleep patterns go out of whack there, I'll move back. Problem solved. :)


4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

LOL I love that your solution if to move to Australia!! I'm such an insomniac, I can so relate!!

10:01 am  
Blogger vern said...

Hey, Shannon, you've got a blog here too? Fantastic. I'll add you to my link list shortly (& read & comment when I can).

I woke up "on time" this morning, but it took me six hours to get out of bed! It usually takes a full week to turn myself around ... if the operation is successful. We'll see.

3:13 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Hey, Vern!

I love your blog! So great to see your writing again. Very amusing and insightful. I, too, can totally relate to the internal clock thing.

I've been staying up late a few nights a week working on a screenplay, and it's totally thrown my internal clock out of whack. Anyway, look forward to checking you out chez le Blogosphere.

11:19 pm  
Blogger vern said...

Dan! Great to hear from you. Yes, this blogging thing should be much fun provided I can resist the temptation to re-edit my posts 15-20 times after they're up. You can take the boy out of the closed-captioning office, but you can't ... etc.

1:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home